Saturday, June 1, 2024

Alice with her Mischievous Cat




Alice with her Mischievous Cat 
(autobiographical fiction) 
by 
Alana Blake 
(age 14)


“Who knew today would be a good day for fishing?” Alice says, putting her fishing pole in the truck bed.

Dad puts the fish cooler in the truck bed, “Yeah, it was. We better head home, so I can take a quick shower before Mom gets home.”

In the truck Alice thinks, "I can’t wait to have the whole farm to myself while Mom and Dad are on their date.”

“Alice. Hey, Alice?” Dad taps Alice on the shoulder before putting his hat on.

“Ah, sorry. What is it?”

“Can you clean the fish, and put them in the fridge for me when we get home?”

“Yeah, of course.” Alice thinks, Ah, no, that's going to take forever, and I won’t have as much time to do whatever I want. But it will make Dad happy. Lost in thought, Alice stares out the truck window watching the animals and grass fields pass by.

Dad turns the truck down the dirt driveway. "Alice, where will you want me to put the fish?” 

Alice says, still staring out the window, "Just in the barn next to the sink, where we clean the birds, will be fine.”

“Dad says, "It sure is beautiful today. Those cherry trees are so pretty when they are in full bloom.”

“Yeah, it's so great that we have them on our land.” says Alice hopping out of the truck "I am going to go get a fish knife. Then I will meet you in the barn.”

Alice starts rummaging around the cupboards in the kitchen, Alice thinks. Where did I put the fish knife? 

“What are you looking for, Alice?” Mom was standing behind Alice, with a questioning expression on her face.

“Ahh!" Alice jumps. "Oh you're home! Hmm, I'm looking for a fish knife. Do you know where it is?”

“Sorry didn’t mean to scare you, but yes, it is on the wall over counter top above your head.”

Mom turns around, grabs her purse, and heads outside. “Are you ready to go, Honey?” Mom says to Dad.

As Dad puts the cooler of fish down on the table. “Ah! Don’t walk, so quiet like that please, but no, I need to change."

 Alice joins them and trips on nothing, but doesn't fall. 

Oh, Alice, you can put the fish in this?" Dad pass Alice a glass container. "Are you going to be fine, Alice?”

“Yeah, I got it all handled,” Alice says with a smile. 

“Great,” says Dad before walking to the house.    

Mom looks at her watch then at Alice “If you need anything just call, okay? And don't stay up past 10:00 pm, and no fires, please, Alice.”

“Don’t worry about me, I will be fine. I won’t do anything I don’t already know how to do, so go with Dad.” 

“Oh, you are growing up so fast.” Mom pulls Alice into a hug and kisses her on the head.

 In a few minutes Dad leans up against the barn door. "I’m ready to go now. We better get going or we might miss our reservation.”      

 “All right, I'm on my way." Mom releases from the hug, and looks into Alice’s eyes." You be good, okay?” 

“I will. Bye Mom, and bye, Dad."

“Bye,  Alice,” Dad closes Mom’s door and waves at Alice.

Alice waves back at them as they leave.


“Well, there’s that. I guess it’s time to clean those fish.” Alice walks over to a cooler in the barn. “Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, y seis,” Alice takes one fish out at a time. “All right, so if I take five minutes on each fish, then that will take thirty minutes. Then I  should  have enough time so I can finally watch Percy Jackson. Then I'll take a shower before Mom and Dad get back. Yeah, that sounds right.” 


Four fish later. “Ow! No!” Alice looks at her bloody finger then runs into the house to get a band-aid.


Alice looks at her finger after washing the blood away. “Okay, it’s not that bad. I hope Mom will still let me use a knife.” Alice puts a band-aid on it and goes back to the barn to finish the last two fish. 


“Ahh, no, Cipher! That’s my fish!” Alice yells, running over and grabbing the fish filet out of the cat’s mouth. She puts the cat on the floor. “I forget you like fish. I remember now, so don’t even think about trying to take my fish again.” Alice points her fingers at her own eyes then at the cat's eyes. Still staring at the cat, Alice picks up another fish and puts it on the cutting board. The cat watches as Alice cuts the rest of the fish up. 


“Finally! I’m done. Now I can go watch  ‘Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters.’  "Yay!" Alice grabs the container that the fish filets were in, and heads inside to watch Percy Jackson.       


"All right now were is that DVD? I know it is around here somewhere." Alice looks at the very unorganized movie shelf  in the living room.  Alice looks in the cracks in couch, under the reclining chair, and around the TV which is over the fire place.


Alice looks at the cat staring at her, "Don't look at me like that, Cipher. I am going to find the DVD in time, even if you don't think I can. You just watch."


Alice looks back at the DVD's and spots the Percy Jackson DVD she was looking for, but it was on the top shelf, which was too high for her to reach. "You got to be kidding me! How am I supposed to get that? I am only 4’ 8." 


Five minutes later, Alice pulls over two chairs, and stacks them. "What? It's not going to fall over, see?" Alice shakes the chair, and looks at the cat watching her. "Here we go," Alice climbs up the chairs, and starts to stand up. The chairs wiggle  a little under her weight "It's ok, I am not going to fall. I just need to reach the DVD." Alice goes on to her tiptoes and grabs the DVD. "Yes!" 


A cracking noise comes from the chairs under Alice, and the next thing she knows she is falling to the  floor.  "Ow! That hurt!" Alice looks in front of her to see Cipher looking at her, dead in the eyes, as if he was saying, "I told you, so!  


Alice picks up the DVD, and puts the chairs away before watching Percy Jackson.   


 Two hours later, Alice stretched and turned off the TV. "That was great, wasn't it, Cipher?" 


Cipher walks away.


Alice hears a car coming down the drive way. "Oh no! is it that late already? I haven't even take a shower yet!"


Alice runs to the bath, takes a super fast shower,  then hears voices. So she runs to her room and jumps in bed as she hears the door open. 


"Do you think Alice went to bed?" Dad asks.  


"I think, so because I didn't see any lights on, but let's check," Mom says.


"Looks like she's asleep," Dad says quietly.  


"Yeah. Good night, Alice," Mom says before she  kisses me on the head, and Dad does the same.


The End



(Assignment for Lesson #20 - Autobiography) 


If you are between the ages of 13 -18,

(or know someone who likes to write stories)
I would like to post your story here.
Send me an email. I'd love to read your story!

No comments:

LinkWithin