Thursday, May 12, 2016

Maybe Someday


Maybe Someday
by
Ashley Jones
(age 18)


     Grand, flowing music began to play as the movie credits scrolled down the television screen. My sister sighed as she continued to stare up at the screen.
     “Disney World,” she whispered dreamily.
     “I wish we could go,” I absently replied.
     We had watched the Disney World tour on DVD countless times over the past few months. Each time my eyes were glued to the television displaying colorful gardens, unique rides, and the iconic castle. Everything seemed so extravagant and over-the-top to me. The tour promised the whole park experience to be “magical” and “a dream come true.” My sister and I believed every word.
     I stood up and opened the DVD player.
     “Maybe someday, Kayla,” I tried to assure her as I placed the DVD in its now-worn case.
     “Yeah maybe,” she replied. “Do you wanna play in the snow?”
     “Sure, let's build a snow fort.” I called as we rushed to put on our snow suits.
   
*          *          *

     The next few weeks were filled with Christmas preparations: decorating, caroling, and cookie baking. The Disney DVD was set aside as we filled our afternoons with “Frosty the Snowman” and “A Christmas Carol” instead.

*          *          *

     Finally Christmas morning arrived. Our house overflowed with laughter, savory breakfast smells, and thank you's being shouted across the room. Our grandparents came and added to the gifts already under the twinkling tree. We all had so much fun opening and passing around presents to each other. Wrapping paper littered every inch of the floor. We took time to pick up the pieces to reveal the gifts already opened piled underneath. I didn't want to put down my new American Girl doll to be much help, though. The morning passed by in a blur until my sister and I were given the last two gifts from beneath the  Christmas tree. With anticipation we carefully tore the red and green paper. Big smiles lit  our faces as we each held a large jar decorated with Mickey Mouse stickers and filled to the top with mini Hershey bars and gummy Lifesavers.
     “Yummy,” Kayla shouted with a mischievous grin on her face.
     “Don't eat any yet, Kayla,” I scolded. “There's a note here.”
     The envelope instructed me to read the note out loud for everyone to hear. Tears began to trickle down my face as the realization of the words began to sink in:

     Dear Ashley and Kayla,
This candy is meant to be eaten one piece each day. 
Once you reach the bottom of the jar, we will all be going to Florida. 
We will spend a week of fun at Disney World. 
Merry Christmas!
And remember, only eat one piece of candy a day.
Love,
Grammie & Grampa

     My sister jumped up and down with the excitement, and we hugged each other. We ran over
to my grandparents.
     “We're going to Disney World,” I whispered as we engulfed them in a hug.

*          *          *


     We watched the Disney DVD many more times before our own “magical” vacation. Today, it still sits in the same spot on the shelf lined with movies, forever reminding me of that special Christmas long ago.


(assignment for Lesson #20 - autobiography)


If you are between the ages of 12-18,
(or know someone who likes to write stories)
I would like to post your story here.
Send me an email. I'd love to read your story!

No comments:

LinkWithin