Saturday, May 4, 2019

A Brave Soldier





A Brave Soldier
by
Gracelyn Beaulieu (age 16)

Once upon a time there was a World War II soldier named Richard Beaulieu*.  He grew up in Maine in a large family with eleven siblings.  At the age of eighteen, he enlisted in the United States Army.  He only enlisted because he knew he should serve his country.  Richard was sad though; he knew he would be leaving the people he loved, freedom, and just the comforts of home.  Although he did not want to think of this question, he did wonder if he would ever come back.  
Richard had a sister named Gabrielle who had married his best friend, James.  Richard knew James growing up, since they went to school together.  James moved to Germany and became a German citizen after he and his wife were married.  He decided to enlist in the army as well.  There was one problem: James and Richard were going to fight on opposite sides as enemies!
With a heavy heart, Richard left his home to dutifully serve his country.  After training, Richard went over on a ship to Germany.  On the ship, the soldiers learned that the war was over.  When Richard found out he was not going to literally fight, he was so happy.  Even the captain of the ship yelled, “Praise the Lord!”.  He would not have to fight against his best friend and brother-in-law.  Richard went to France, England, and Germany.  His job was to find injured people, bury the dead, and help the cities get back in order again. 
After being in France for a few weeks, he received a letter from a German soldier who was a friend of James saying that James had not been seen since the soldiers’ camp one week ago.  Richard had hope he would be found.  Having that hope, he joined up with a group on horseback looking for James.  Growing up, Richard often wondered how people could just be lost.  Obviously, someone had to see him and maybe even be with him.
On the Wednesday of the second week that James had been lost, Richard separated from the group.  Going through some woods, he saw some horse prints in the dirt.  He decided to get off his horse so he could examine them. They looked fresh!  As he kept walking, he heard some rustling.  Quickly he called, “James!”.  Then all the sudden he saw a shadow, and someone walked around the tree.  Richard’s feet could not move as he watched the German soldier coming closer and closer. 
What a surprise!
After Richard recovered from his surprise he said, “James!  What happened?  Where have you been?  I can’t tell you how happy I am to see you!”  He ran to James and gave him a manly hug.
James replied, “Calm down! I am still alive.”
Then, realizing that James looked pale and hungry, Richard asked, “When did you last eat? Here is some bread from my sack.  I will get you back so you can eat a meal.  I was so worried I would never see you again, James.”
James replied, “I haven’t eaten for two days; I ran out of the corn bread and dried berries I had.  I did find some blackberries yesterday, though.  On Monday of last week, I thought, since we were not busy at the time, that I would go to the general store in town and pick up some souvenirs for my family.  Well, I decided that I would take a shortcut through the woods.  Other soldiers had talked about using it when they were in a hurry.  Since I also wanted to write my family a letter, I took the shortcut…and got lost.  It became dark and, apparently, I kept wandering farther and farther from camp.  I am so thankful you found me.  I had left my compass back at camp.”
Five months later, they were done picking up after the war.  In September, they were able to return home.  James and Richard went to James’ home in Germany and picked up Gabrielle to go back to America.  James and Gabrielle decided to move back home to Maine where the rest of the family was.  Telling stories around the campfire, especially, brought back memories for James and Richard.  Some made them laugh and some made them cry.  They never forgot the time James got lost and how Richard went searching to find a beloved enemy! 


*This is not a true story, but Richard Beaulieu is my grandfather.  He served in World War II and was on a ship when they said the war was over.  He had to clean up.  A few years after coming back from his service, he married Theresa, my grandmother.  Together they had 4 girls and one boy.  Pepere tells us some stories about the war sometimes.  My grandfather is still alive today and at 92 years old is in good condition, praise the Lord!  My grandmother is also alive at 88 years old!  I am privileged to be their granddaughter.



(Assignment Lesson #12 - Climax)


If you are between the ages of 13 -18,
(or know someone who likes to write stories)
I would like to post your story here.
Send me an email. I'd love to read your story!

No comments:

LinkWithin